Monday, October 8, 2012

Conference Update No. 1



Every year I say this, but its true, conference was awesome.  I loved every minute of it (including the parts that I missed due to kiddos).  I loved seeing many of the brethren come to tears as they taught principles that they new were important and necessary for us.  Principles that were felt deep in their souls.  I often wonder if the stewardship to impart doctrines that will reach the Latter-day masses is a heavy weight.  Still, they should feel their prayers answered, knowing that their messages delivered by the Spirit of the Lord.

Something else about this conference has cause me to feel great gratitude.  It has not been that long ago that members of the Church waiting for the printing of the ensign to obtain a copy of the talks from general conference.  They all available online today.  All of the sessions, text and audio are available here: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2012/10?lang=eng

President Monson said, "We have had unprecedented coverage of the conference..." Another gift for which to be thankful.

The talk that I want to point out today is from Elder Quentin L. Cook.  Elder Cook is a family friend.  His brother family doctor most of my growing up years.  My mom served in callings with Sister Cook, wife of Elder Quentin L. Cook.  It is fun to have this little tidbit, but it is also a wonderful experience to be taught by this great man.

At the inception of Elder Cook's remarks he takes a moment to join his testimony and support to the new changes for missionaries.  Elder Cook quotes George Albert Smith with this comment; "Your mission is to warn the people in as kind a way as possible that repentance will be the only panacea for the ills of the world."  Though this comment was made during the trials of WWII, its message is even more pertinent today as the decline of morality increases and will be one of the major issues missionaries deal with as they serve the Lord.

There were many things Elder Cook spoke on, but the two that made great impact on me where these:
1.  "Emersion in the scriptures is essential for spiritual nourishment.  The word of God inspires commitment and provides a healing balm."

2. A quote from The Prophet Joseph Smith, "Before your baptism you could be on neutral ground between good and evil, but once you join the Church, you enlist to serve God.  When you did that you left the neutral ground and you can never go back.  You must never forsake the Master."

Testimony and commitment seemed to speak to me as each General Authority stood to speak.  I often look for themes during the sessions of Conference.  I often ask members of my family if they picked up on a theme to compare impressions.  Either way, it is a form of personal inspiration.  It is an opportunity to focus on an area that may be in need of attentions or change.

Aside from a pattern of topics, or answers to prayers and questions you might alway receive warnings from Conference messages.  I felt a type of warning or counsel this past weekend.  A message that developed or repeated as the sessions progressed over the two days.  I am grateful for these blessings.  We are, some of us, many miles from the foot of Church leaders during these conferences, yet still, the Lord will teach us.  Through his spirit, as we prayerful pay attention to the speakers, we can be taught, warned and comforted.

Over the next few months there is an opportunity to participate in a  book club group.
I hope you will join us.  This is the first time for me.  I am anxious to make connections there and to have my spirit fed and the talks from this past Conference is discussed.   The messages of the past weekend are likened to our modern scripture.  As Elder Cook taught,  "Emersion in the scriptures is essential for spiritual nourishment."


As I spend the next few days reviewing my notes and listening again to the talks online I will be back to post more General Conference Updates.


















No comments:

Post a Comment