Friday, October 19, 2012

Prophets and Latter-day Saints

I read an article today written by Joni Hilton, an LDS writer.  I often follow her on a e-zine known as Meridian Magazine.  Joni's work is spot on, in my opinion.  She doesn't mince words and doesn't seem to mind hitting some of the tougher issues.  I respect that about her.

Her article today was one of the best ones I have read.  The topic was about prophets of the LDS church.  In the article she shares a story about a woman's experience talking to a stranger about the church.  The conversation didn't go well for the woman.  Because of her experience she learned a valuable lesson.  A lesson we can learn too, hopefully less painfully.

Having a Latter-day Saint running for the highest office in our country has stirred up a bit more interested in the Church.  Now more than ever we need to be prepared to share and teach.  We need
to know what we believe and why.   One day though, this current hubbub will die down and the spot light will dim a bit.  Regardless of what goes on in the world around us, we need to be prepared to answer questions.

Being a stay at home mom for the past few years,  I don't have as many opportunities to talk to people like I did when I was working.  I do have one friend who has a strong faith in God.  Often our conversations are of a religious nature.  Sometimes the conversation isn't so much about doctrine but about the love of the Savior and Father in Heaven.  I believe this friend does not doubt that I believe in Christ.  I believe her view of "Mormons" is favorable.  Not because of any great thing that I did.  More because, I believe, spirits can talk to one another more deeply than one can imagine.

I hope that as you read this blog and check out Joni's article from the link below.  Consider what things you would say to people you meet in line at the store.  Consider what message you want them to hear, in spite of the one  you actually sent.

http://ldsmag.com/article/1/11624


No comments:

Post a Comment